This study was commissioned in July 2022 and conducted by Morrison Hershfield to examine Waste to Energy (WTE) approaches specifically for the Canadian context. It serves as a valuable resource in understanding and exploring the WTE landscape, technologies, and potential within Canada. The study aimed to achieve the following objectives:
- Review and compare existing thermal treatment technologies utilized for mixed Municipal Solid Waste (MSW).
- Evaluate and quantify the greenhouse gas impacts associated with different types of thermal treatment operations for value recovery from mixed MSW.
- Compile a comprehensive inventory of current and planned WTE facilities in Canada.
- Create an inventory of industry participants offering services, technology, or equipment related to WTE operations in Canada.
- Generate a comprehensive inventory of existing and planned policies and legislation pertaining to WTE in Canada and internationally.
- Assess the potential in Canada for generating energy and resources from waste.